Reptile Licencing

Under Western Australian legislation, prior to being able to purchase a reptile or amphibian, you must first hold a current Herpetofauna Keeper’s Licence. A link can be found below which will take you to the Department of Parks and Wildlife website, where you can download an application form. Applications must then be submitted to the Department of Parks and Wildlife.

The site also contains important care sheets for the species of reptiles permitted to be kept in Western Australia, as well as information on what category of licence (1 through to 5) is required for you to be legally permitted to keep the various species of herpetofauna.

Please note that not all herpetofauna, only 52 species (including venomous snakes), can be legally kept in WA; and for quarantine purposes, legislation prohibits the importation and keeping of pythons from outside WA.

Once you have your Herpetofauna Keeper’s Licence you can purchase a reptile from a licenced reptile dealer.